Wednesday, February 14, 2018

The Valentine

THE VALENTINE

My Valentine's a page of gold,
Upon it by the morning light
I trace new hopes and fancies bright,
So sweetly is the story told,
That old, old story, yet so new,
A little song of love, a voice
That bids my faltering soul rejoice,
A promise to be ever true;
love, sweet love, this honest heart
Unknown to coquetry or art,
Hath sworn fidelity to you.
And to my trustful heart I press
My valentine, with fond caress.

But still as sweetly as of old,
And now the long, long years have fled,
1 read the treasured sheet of gold.
What tho' my love, alas! be dead
And as I read from yonder skies
An angel with a radiant crown
Comes to my lovely chamber down
And bids me dry my streaming eyes.
So in the soft declining day
I think of him who's far away,
Whose body in the churchyard lies.
And to my broken heart I press
My valentine, with fond caress.

Eugene Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I publish commentary closely connected to the topic. Thank you for participating.