Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Valentine

THE VALENTINE 
From Westminster Drollery, 1672

As youthful day put on his best
Attire to usher morn,
And she to greet her glorious guest
Did her fair self adorn,
Up did I rise, and hide mine eyes
As I went through the street,
Lest 1 should one that I despise
Before a fairer meet.
And why
Was I,
Think you, so nice and fine ?
Well did I wot
(Who wots it not?)
It was Saint Valentine.

In fields by Thoebus great with young
Of flowers and hopeful buds,
Resembling thoughts that freshly sprung
In lovers' lively broods,
A damsel fair and fine I saw,
So fair and finely dight,
As put my heart almost in awe
To attempt a mate so bright;
But O
Why so?
Her purpose was like mine,
And readily
She said as I
" Good morrow, Valentine."

A fair of love we kept awhile:
She for each word I said
Gave me two smiles, and for each smile
I her two kisses paid.
The violet made haste to appear,
To be her bosom-guest,
With first primrose that grew this year
I purchased for her breast :
Tome
Gave she
Her golden lock for mine;
My ring of jet,
For her bracelet,
I gave my Valentine.

Subscribed with a line of love
My name for her I wrote;
In silk for me her name she wove
Whereto this was her mot,
"As shall this year thy truth appear
I still, my dear, am thine ; "
" Your mate to-day, and love for aye,
If you so say," was mine.
While thus
On us
Each others favours shine.
" No more have we
To change," quoth she
" Now farewell, Valentine."

"Alas," said I, " let friends not seem
Between themselves so strange
The jewels both we dear'st esteem
You know are yet to change."
She answers " No," yet smiles as though
Her tongue her thought denies!
Who truth of maiden's mind will know
Must seek it in her eyes.
She blush'd,
I wish'd
Her heart as free as mine,
She sight l and sware
"In sooth you are
Too wanton, Valentine."

Yet I such further favour won
By suit and pleasing play,
She vow'd what now was left undone
Should finish'd be in May;
And though perplex'd with such delay
As more augments desire,
Twixt present grief and promised joy,
I from my mate retire:
If she
To me
Preserves her vows divine
And constant troth,
She shall be both
My love and Valentine.

From Westminster Drollery, 1672.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I publish commentary closely connected to the topic. Thank you for participating.