Saturday, February 3, 2018

Teresa by Clinton Scollard

Teresa

Down the garden pathway singing.
Comes a lithesome form I know;
Fleet bright butterflies are winging
To and fro
On the hillsides where the ox-eyed daisies
grow.

Round her flutter thrush and sparrow,
Warbling joyous, unafraid,
And sly Cupid with his arrow
'Neath the shade
Of the rose-tree lurks to greet the laughing
maid.

Should he find her there, the charmer,
With his bended bow and dart,
Pierce the never-shattered armor
Round her heart,
Evermore my tongue would bless his subtle
art.

See! she wanders where the roses,
Jealous, hide her from my view;
Now an opening fair discloses
The soft hue
Of her flitting fleecy garments, skyey blue.

Ah, she pauses! but 't is only
By a rose-tree climbing high,
There to pluck a blossom lonely.
Is he by?
Is the love-compelling goddess' son a-nigh?

Who can tell? for on she strayeth
Toward an arbor cool and green,
There a splashing fountain playeth
Soft, serene,
And beyond in golden wheat-fields reapers
glean.

Here, amid the vines entwining,
Sits she as the moments pass,
While I gaze with sad repining
At the mass
Of the shining clouds, sun-smit like burnished
brass.

Still I wait, my soul a-quiver,
Till she comes ah, fate be kind!
To my heart a joyous giver,
Where enshrined
Love will hide beyond the power of ill to find;

Or as calm and cold and stately
As a statue, marble-born,
Passing with white face sedately,
Not in scorn,
Yet to show me how my hopes are all forlorn.

Now the hanging vines are parted
And I see her draw a-near.
Will she leave me broken hearted?
Vanish, Fear!
In thine eyes I read my answer, thou most
dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I publish commentary closely connected to the topic. Thank you for participating.