Saturday, February 3, 2018

Daisy by Mary Ashley Townsend

Daisy

Would I might keep thee ever from the
storm
And threat of storm, from peril of the brink
And fall therefrom ; from even the subtlest
link
Of joy with joylessness ; from all earth's swarm
Of mockeries pitiless and multiform ;
Make from thy pathway every danger shrink,
Give thy sweet lips but happy cups to drink,
My own hopes pledge to keep thine warm and
bright.
Alas! I may not share thy peace nor strife;
To me 't is not vouchsafed to give nor guard,
But in my soul great love for thee is rife,
And so my night is beautifully starred,
For it is written on the heights of life,
Love is its own exceeding great reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I publish commentary closely connected to the topic. Thank you for participating.