Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A Ballad

A BALLAD

When summer leaves were green and wide,
And sultry was the weather,
Home went two lovers side by side,
From raking hay together;
And he might plead and sue his fill,
But she said naught - yet listened still.

And when the woods were bleak and bare,
And skies were gray and freezing,
Still came no answer to his prayer,
Nor to his trouble easing ;
And he must mourn his heavy fate,
Who sought in vain his fancied mate.

Come, own my love and constant truth !
You not so sore have tried me,
Yet let the crowning of our youth
No longer be denied me ;
So coming spring shall garlands twine
To deck my dainty Valentine.

B. Montgomery Ranking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I publish commentary closely connected to the topic. Thank you for participating.